E-ISSN 2534-9821
 

Original Research 


EFFECTIVNESS OF GLUTATHIONE (GSH) 2%, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE 1%, AND MAGNESIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE 3% COMBINATION CREAM COMPARED WITH HYDROQUINONE 4% CREAM AS A SKIN LIGHTENING AGENT: A RANDOMISED STUDY

Andy Manggabarani, Farida Tabri, Anis Irawan, Arifin Seweng, Agussalim Bukhari, Khairuddin Djawad.

Abstract
Black spots and brown spots interfere with aesthetic appearance. For this reason, there are various skin lightening products on the market, such as glutathione, vitamin C, and E. The combination of glutathione, vitamin C, and E, which is a natural antioxidant, is expected to have an equivalent effect with hydroquinone (standard therapy), but with minimal side effects. The aim of this study was to determine the score of skin brightness using Chroma Meter on the subjects before the topical glutathione (GSH) 2%, 1% tocopheryl acetate 1%, and 3% magnesium ascorbyl phosphate 3% combination therapy compared with hydroquinone 4% cream after 6 weeks of administration. A double-blind, pre- and post-treatment randomized controlled clinical trial was conducted on 34 patients at the Dermatology and Venereology clinic of Hasanuddin University Hospital in Makassar, by applying combination cream and hydroquinone on the patient's right arm twice daily. Measurement of skin brightness and erythema using Chroma Meter performed weekly. The results of the study using Wilcoxon Signed Rank and Mann-Whitney test found that the L* (brightness) score in combination cream group was significantly higher than in the hydroquinone cream group (p <0.001). As for the a* (erythema), the score of a* (erythema) in the hydroquinone cream group was significantly higher than in the combination cream group (p <0.001). Measurement of ITA0 score (Individual Typological Angle) after 6 weeks was obtained, and showed that the score in combination cream group was significantly higher than in hydroquinone cream group (p <0.001). Combination cream showed a higher score in terms of brightening the skin than with hydroquinone cream, whereas the score of skin erythema increased significantly with the use of hydroquinone cream compared to the combination cream for 6 weeks. It is hoped that subsequent research could be done with a larger sample and longer time to get more representative results of the population.

Key words: Chroma Meter; Glutathione; Skin brightness; Combination Cream.


 
ARTICLE TOOLS
Abstract
PDF Fulltext
Print this article Print this Article
How to cite this articleHow to cite this article
Citation Tools
Related Records
 Articles by Andy Manggabarani
Articles by Farida Tabri
Articles by Anis Irawan
Articles by Arifin Seweng
Articles by Agussalim Bukhari
Articles by Khairuddin Djawad
on Google
on Google Scholar
Article Statistics
 Viewed: 282
Downloaded: 190
Cited: 0

How to Cite this Article
Pubmed Style

Andy Manggabarani, Farida Tabri, Anis Irawan, Arifin Seweng, Agussalim Bukhari, Khairuddin Djawad. EFFECTIVNESS OF GLUTATHIONE (GSH) 2%, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE 1%, AND MAGNESIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE 3% COMBINATION CREAM COMPARED WITH HYDROQUINONE 4% CREAM AS A SKIN LIGHTENING AGENT: A RANDOMISED STUDY. Int J Med Rev Case Rep. 2018; 2(4): 154-160. doi:10.5455/IJMRCR.glutathione-tocopheryl-acetate-magnesium-ascorbyl-phosphate-cream-hydroquinone-skin-


Web Style

Andy Manggabarani, Farida Tabri, Anis Irawan, Arifin Seweng, Agussalim Bukhari, Khairuddin Djawad. EFFECTIVNESS OF GLUTATHIONE (GSH) 2%, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE 1%, AND MAGNESIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE 3% COMBINATION CREAM COMPARED WITH HYDROQUINONE 4% CREAM AS A SKIN LIGHTENING AGENT: A RANDOMISED STUDY. http://mdpub.net/?mno=297888 [Access: January 19, 2019]. doi:10.5455/IJMRCR.glutathione-tocopheryl-acetate-magnesium-ascorbyl-phosphate-cream-hydroquinone-skin-


AMA (American Medical Association) Style

Andy Manggabarani, Farida Tabri, Anis Irawan, Arifin Seweng, Agussalim Bukhari, Khairuddin Djawad. EFFECTIVNESS OF GLUTATHIONE (GSH) 2%, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE 1%, AND MAGNESIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE 3% COMBINATION CREAM COMPARED WITH HYDROQUINONE 4% CREAM AS A SKIN LIGHTENING AGENT: A RANDOMISED STUDY. Int J Med Rev Case Rep. 2018; 2(4): 154-160. doi:10.5455/IJMRCR.glutathione-tocopheryl-acetate-magnesium-ascorbyl-phosphate-cream-hydroquinone-skin-



Vancouver/ICMJE Style

Andy Manggabarani, Farida Tabri, Anis Irawan, Arifin Seweng, Agussalim Bukhari, Khairuddin Djawad. EFFECTIVNESS OF GLUTATHIONE (GSH) 2%, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE 1%, AND MAGNESIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE 3% COMBINATION CREAM COMPARED WITH HYDROQUINONE 4% CREAM AS A SKIN LIGHTENING AGENT: A RANDOMISED STUDY. Int J Med Rev Case Rep. (2018), [cited January 19, 2019]; 2(4): 154-160. doi:10.5455/IJMRCR.glutathione-tocopheryl-acetate-magnesium-ascorbyl-phosphate-cream-hydroquinone-skin-



Harvard Style

Andy Manggabarani, Farida Tabri, Anis Irawan, Arifin Seweng, Agussalim Bukhari, Khairuddin Djawad (2018) EFFECTIVNESS OF GLUTATHIONE (GSH) 2%, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE 1%, AND MAGNESIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE 3% COMBINATION CREAM COMPARED WITH HYDROQUINONE 4% CREAM AS A SKIN LIGHTENING AGENT: A RANDOMISED STUDY. Int J Med Rev Case Rep, 2 (4), 154-160. doi:10.5455/IJMRCR.glutathione-tocopheryl-acetate-magnesium-ascorbyl-phosphate-cream-hydroquinone-skin-



Turabian Style

Andy Manggabarani, Farida Tabri, Anis Irawan, Arifin Seweng, Agussalim Bukhari, Khairuddin Djawad. 2018. EFFECTIVNESS OF GLUTATHIONE (GSH) 2%, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE 1%, AND MAGNESIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE 3% COMBINATION CREAM COMPARED WITH HYDROQUINONE 4% CREAM AS A SKIN LIGHTENING AGENT: A RANDOMISED STUDY. International Journal of Medical Reviews and Case Reports, 2 (4), 154-160. doi:10.5455/IJMRCR.glutathione-tocopheryl-acetate-magnesium-ascorbyl-phosphate-cream-hydroquinone-skin-



Chicago Style

Andy Manggabarani, Farida Tabri, Anis Irawan, Arifin Seweng, Agussalim Bukhari, Khairuddin Djawad. "EFFECTIVNESS OF GLUTATHIONE (GSH) 2%, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE 1%, AND MAGNESIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE 3% COMBINATION CREAM COMPARED WITH HYDROQUINONE 4% CREAM AS A SKIN LIGHTENING AGENT: A RANDOMISED STUDY." International Journal of Medical Reviews and Case Reports 2 (2018), 154-160. doi:10.5455/IJMRCR.glutathione-tocopheryl-acetate-magnesium-ascorbyl-phosphate-cream-hydroquinone-skin-



MLA (The Modern Language Association) Style

Andy Manggabarani, Farida Tabri, Anis Irawan, Arifin Seweng, Agussalim Bukhari, Khairuddin Djawad. "EFFECTIVNESS OF GLUTATHIONE (GSH) 2%, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE 1%, AND MAGNESIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE 3% COMBINATION CREAM COMPARED WITH HYDROQUINONE 4% CREAM AS A SKIN LIGHTENING AGENT: A RANDOMISED STUDY." International Journal of Medical Reviews and Case Reports 2.4 (2018), 154-160. Print. doi:10.5455/IJMRCR.glutathione-tocopheryl-acetate-magnesium-ascorbyl-phosphate-cream-hydroquinone-skin-



APA (American Psychological Association) Style

Andy Manggabarani, Farida Tabri, Anis Irawan, Arifin Seweng, Agussalim Bukhari, Khairuddin Djawad (2018) EFFECTIVNESS OF GLUTATHIONE (GSH) 2%, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE 1%, AND MAGNESIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE 3% COMBINATION CREAM COMPARED WITH HYDROQUINONE 4% CREAM AS A SKIN LIGHTENING AGENT: A RANDOMISED STUDY. International Journal of Medical Reviews and Case Reports, 2 (4), 154-160. doi:10.5455/IJMRCR.glutathione-tocopheryl-acetate-magnesium-ascorbyl-phosphate-cream-hydroquinone-skin-